Monday, April 30, 2007

Free Hugs

I am constantly amazed at where God has taken me the last few months. Never would I have thought I'd end up in the County Psychological Health Department, but that's where I've found myself the last couple days, visiting my friend who ended up there due to a mess of circumstances (no, she's not crazy). Her experience has taught her some tough lessons, and it's opened my eyes as well.

It was interesting to find myself in a place that holds the people that society so often forgets about. The budget they have is minuscule - who thinks of giving resources to the Psych Dept? I didn't even know where the place was, much less what it looked like or what resources they have. And who is going to support these people who are in desperate need of healing?

A thing as simple as as flowers, or fresh underwear can bring joy and the touch of cheer that someone needs in their process of healing. Heck, just having someone visit is a big deal! A lot of the people there are on the fringes of society already - criminals, those with spiritual and mental illnesses, outcasts, people who may have little hope.

Sometimes the little things can mean so much to a person - more than you may ever realize.

Nathan and I have a very tight budget, especially as we're preparing for our move. It's scary to have to rely on God to provide on a month-to-month basis....and our incomes are pretty stable at this point. But I've been reminded lately that I need to be sure I'm not so scared for my well-being that I don't give to those around me, both in time and in resources. I know that as I give of myself to those who need a touch of God in their lives, God will provide the emotional, mental, spiritual, physical, and financial strength I need to keep going.

It's in those moments of giving of ourselves that we really connect with God and find ourselves right where God wants us - reflecting His image.

Along this vein, I was downtown with my mom and sisters yesterday and we walked by a man holding a sign that read "FREE HUGS". I didn't take him up on his offer, but I did give him a thumbs up. Then I came across this video, posted on another blog. Go to the Free Hugs Campaign website and read the story behind this movement. This video moved me to tears - if a simple hug can change a person's day, imagine what we as followers of Christ can do to encourage people! We carry a hope that goes beyond the world we see in front of us.




No comments: