Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Counter-Hegemony: Borat Meets Jesus

SynchroBlog May 2007: Christianity & Film

I'm coming up on finals week, so I don't have time to write an original post, but a recent paper I wrote for my Sociology class dovetails nicely with the theme this month. I've been considering posting it anyway, so I guess it was meant to be!

There is one particular scene that this post is mainly referring to, which you can see here (it's about 4 minutes long and this clip is PG): Jesus Saves Borat



The fictional character Borat, particularly as played by Sacha Baron Cohen in the movie ”Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan”, has generated both controversy and laughter since he first started gaining widespread popularity before the movie’s release in 2006. Some people love Borat and appreciate how the movie pushed the boundaries of what is culturally appropriate in America under the guise of Borat - a foreigner who is unabashedly open about his personal, political, and culturally-influenced thoughts and ignorant of the cultural norms and “politically correct” way to express oneself in our culture. Others however have been offended by what was interpreted by them as outright bigotry, prejudice, misogyny, deception and/or exploitation, or the glorification of such behavior.

While I personally thought the movie was hilarious overall, when it came to the church scene where Borat becomes “born-again” and starts speaking in tongues, I could not help but feel offended because of my own faith, my spiritual foundation within conservative Christian beliefs (and the conservative Christian culture in which I grew up), and the church community I currently am a part of which is part of a charismatic denomination. I've known some who have been offended by the movie on a personal level based on their faith (both Christian and Jewish), but also many who found it enjoyable in its humor as I do.

Borat, the character, is everything opposite of the “approved” cultural values and norms within our society. He is politically incorrect in his words and actions, he is racist, views women objectively, has no manners (according to American standards), and shows open disdain for his wife and family – but he doesn't violate our cultural norms intentionally. In this way, he is a symbol of counter-hegemony within our society in his total openness and transparency. But is the movie progressive in its treatment of Christianity and Pentecostalism?

Many Pentecostal and charismatic churches are made fun of and derided for their physical actions: raising hands, jumping up and down, running through the aisles, being “slain in the spirit” (a spiritual phenomena that occurs when a person is so overcome by the Holy Spirit that they cannot function – often encouraged, sometimes forced, by a spiritual leader who prays over someone while touching their forehead, shoulder, or chest – that is depicted in the movie), and being vocal in their praise; all actions that the church scene in Borat highlights. Within highly Pentecostal circles, the body is used to express spirituality in a way that is outside the mainstream. On the other hand, mainstream Christianity (the hymn-singing, don't dance in the aisles variety) is typically given more respect than Pentecostal Christianity and highly respected, upper-crust members of society would more likely be seen in a mainstream church than a Pentecostal one.

The fact that the makers of Borat chose a Pentecostal revival meeting goes along with many of the themes in the movie that correspond to the body: an extended scene where Borat and Azamat chase each other around a hotel naked, multiple scenes where Borat openly ogles, propositions, or makes derogatory comments towards women, awkward situations with feces, etc. Much, if not all of the humor in Borat is related to the “lower” parts of body in some way or another, including the revival meeting. Borat utilizes crass, gross, and bodily humor to not only provoke laughter, but draw attention to the subjects that are taboo in our culture at large, as well as taboo within the specific sub-cultures in America where the character Borat finds himself throughout his journey.

However, is Borat progressive in its counter-hegemony within the context of the church revival scene? I believe it is, even within the sub-cultures of Christianity and Pentecostalism. Christians, particularly conservative ones, have a tendency to take themselves too seriously (I know because I have and still sometimes do). I consider myself a devout Christian, but it's my personal opinion that humor that mocks aspects of Christianity can be educational because it forces us to look at some of the apparently “weird” things we might believe, say or do and consider “why?” It also gives us insight as to how others view Christianity and how some people can feel very alienated if they're not familiar with the norms and values of Christian culture.

Additionally, it points out the faults of some within Christianity. As viewers, we all know that Borat isn't really speaking in tongues as the preacher prays over him. It begs the question of whether everyone else is just making it up as well. Is it necessary or beneficial in that context, or alienating? Is there a way to be true to our beliefs and values while relating to American culture? If Christians as a group would be more open to laughing at themselves and learning from what culture is telling us, we might actually find that there is something to learn, get off our high horses, and laugh at ourselves.

17 comments:

Pastor Phil said...

Nice response to something we usually find offensive. I love your ability to find grace where we normally see judgment.

Marieke said...

Thanks Phil!

Anonymous said...

Lots of food for thought! I agree with you that humor in this context is a helpful way for us to see ourselves through the eyes of others.

That was an interesting video clip as well.

Sally said...

great post- well balanced and as Phil says seeking grace- thank you for sharing this- prayers for finals week...

Marieke said...

Thanks John & Sally!

I'm glad everyone (well, everyone who has posted) has given good feedback. I was slightly concerned that it might ruffle too many feathers, hehe!

Jenelle said...

Marieke! Great post! I feel like I'm living under a rock because I still haven't watched Borat. But I laughed hysterically at the clip. And I have deep pentecostal roots! I love the churches where the kiddo's and grandpa's dance in the aisles.

You said:
Borat utilizes crass, gross, and bodily humor to not only provoke laughter, but draw attention to the subjects that are taboo in our culture at large, as well as taboo within the specific sub-cultures in America where the character Borat finds himself throughout his journey.

Do you think a Pentecostal revival was chosen for this scene because so much of Pentecostalism is taboo in our culture? The charismatic movement is, perhaps, one of the strongest movements in the globe (particularly in the Southern Hemisphere), but it is given the least amount of respect and/or conversation.

After reading a few of your posts, I realized you're in Santa Barbara. Are you at UCSB or Westmont? I have dear, dear friends at Westmont and go there often. SB is a 2nd home to me, even if I'm an East coaster. I'm expecting to move to Pasadena this Fall to finish my degree at Fuller.

Cheers on finishing finals!

Marieke said...

Jenelle - I love long comments! Especially ones with questions :)

Yup, I'm in Santa Barbara (for 2.5 more months, then it's off to Berkeley). I am currently at the local City College (I feel like I've been there forever), but I grew up here, so we may know some people in common! If you visit over the summer, let me know :)

Do you think a Pentecostal revival was chosen for this scene because so much of Pentecostalism is taboo in our culture?

My sociology class discussed at one point how the body is a map of society in a lot of ways. The "lower" parts of the body (genitalia) are associated with the lower social status, and the "higher" parts (brain) are associated with higher social status.

If you think about it in terms of job positions, it totally makes sense. The jobs that demand physical involvement (be it field labor, or even prostitution) are heavily associated with the lower class and jobs that involve intelligence and lots of education (engineers, psychologists, etc) are associated with high class.

If you translate this to spiritual expression within the Christian church, "High Churches" (think Anglican churches) are much more cerebral in their worship. Attention is pointed away from the body in many ways. They are also associated with people of high intelligence and social status.

Pentecostal churches on the other hand involve physical expressions of worship. Even if we don't consciously think about it, that type of worship is associated with the lower class (even if it's outside the US) and therefore not given the same amount of respect or appreciation. (It's interesting to note that many of the places where pentecostalism and pentecostal style worship are growing rapidly are in developing countries.)

The overarching theme of the movie is that it pokes fun at this idea of the body as a social map in that it blatantly exposes the crassness we try to quell in our society by essentially throwing it in our faces.

So, to answer your question, I think that the reason they chose a Pentecostal revival meeting was because that is the type of American spirituality that blatantly displays an association with the body.

I hope that all made sense :)

Marieke said...

Oh, and I think that what makes the movie funny is that the very things that Borat displays (racism, misogyny, class association with the body, etc) are still present in our culture and in our thoughts...they are just smoothed over by political correctedness. So we understand and find the humor.

Anonymous said...

As a UK blogger it's great to read a well thought out response to Borat from a US perspective. I saw Borat when it came out and found it hilarious. My main concern was over the apparent exploitation of people all the way through. As a fairly charismatic Christian I didn't find the church scene any more offensive than any of the other bits. But it certainly helps us to reflect on how we look to outsiders, or even seekers, and what is God at work and what is culture.

Marieke said...

Before I saw the movie, I actually expected to be offended. For some reason, this particular scene rankled me.

My main concern was over the apparent exploitation of people all the way through.

I didn't address this, but I totally agree. I think more than anything the inherent exploitation is what bothered me...perhaps that's even at the root of why I was bothered so much by the revival scene.

Jenelle said...

Marieke,
Loved your long response! Thanks. So much to consider here, particularly about high church/low church. Your comments on "respectable" worship as associated with the body are very true. Translating this back to the Body, there are many global metaphors to chew on.

I need to see the whole Borat movie, for sure.

+jrd
P.S. While eating clam chowder at the SB Harbor, I have been known to called City College "the school where I shall make all of my offspring attend" because of its heavenly location and awesome cost.

Marieke said...

Good point about the body compared to The Body.

And about SBCC...I have nothing but AWESOME things to say about the faculty - especially the music department (how I love them so!). The dangerous thing about the beautiful views and cheap cost is that it's easy to end up on the 5-, 6-, 7- year plan, haha! SB is an expensive place to live, though.

And I have to say, the Music Dept building has the best views of anywhere on campus. It's also where my husband and I met :D

Jenelle said...

How do you pronounce your name?

SBCC music dept...do you know my South African friend Michael Fick, by any chance? He transferred to Westmont this year, but was at CC the last two.

Marieke said...

Marieke = Muh-RYE-kuh :D

And YES, I do know Mike!! He was in my musicianship and theory classes. I am not in contact with him much now, but we have other mutual friends in common.

Small world!

How do you know him? He's an awesome guy.

Jenelle said...

that's so crazy that you know Mike. He is dating one of my dearest friends in the globe, Elise. she is like a sister to me.

MikeCamel said...

Only just got round to reading this - very pleased I did. Most interesting (even for a "safe"-type Anglican"!).

Anonymous said...

Great blog. I saw the movie and felt that while I thought it was wrong to laugh at that particular scene, I could in no way stop myself from laughing hysterically. I think it is very important for us to be able to laugh at ourselves sometimes. And after all lets face it, life is very funny!