Monday, March 22, 2004

God's plans



Scripture: Joshua 13:1-7

In this passage of the Bible, God speaks to Joshua about how His plans are not completed, even though Joshua has loved a good long life. There is significance in mentioning Joshua's long life because Joshua was one of two people (the other being Caleb) who trusted in God's faithfulness in helping them overcome obstacles that they would encounter when taking hold of the Promised Land of Canaan. Everyone else in Joshua's generation passed away as they traveled through the desert for about 39 years.

So here is Joshua, after defeating many enemies, and taking over much of the land God promised to the Israelites, but God essentially tells Joshua that he is not done. That his promise has still not been fulfilled and more is to be inherited.

And God lays out exactly what is still to be given to His people.

And then God tells Joshua this:

I myself will drive them out before the People of Israel. All you have to do is allot this land to Israel as an inheritance, as I have instructed you. Do it now: Allot this land as an inheritance to the nine tribes and the half-tribe of Manasseh. Josh 13:6b-7

Many of the people groups that lived in Canaan were larger than the Israelites, outnumbered them, and had more weapons and experience in warfare. Yet here God is saying "The victory will be mine, you don't need to anything but simply take what I am giving to you".

If only I could remember when I hit obstacles in my own life, that the victories belong to God. He has made promises to me that he will keep. All I have to do is surrender the battle to Him, and he will make the victory and give me what has been promised. I still need to take action, I still need to go out there and do what he has asked. There will still be hurt, and there may be casualties, but He is in charge, and he will not let me fail where he has promised there will be victory.


Father, thank you for winning the battles before I even get to them; for going before me and conquering the enemy before I even get to the battlefield. Continue to fill me with your spirit as I go through life so that I can simply focus on the things you are calling me to do, not focus on the difficulties that come my way. My hope is found in you, and I know you have a future laid out for me that will challenge me and bless me in ways that I don't even know. Whisper your truths to me in moments of doubt, as you already do, and speak to me that I may speak truth and blessing to others as well. I don't want to be so focused on what is going on in my own life, that I miss chances to reach out to others who are dealing with their own obstacles and enemies. Please continue to give me wisdom, that I may give you glory in all that I do.

Amen

No comments: