Friday, December 29, 2006

Living "offensively"

Offensive meaning "proactive", that is.

My husband, Nathan, and I were talking as we walked to lunch today and I shared with him how I feel like a lot of things in life have changed since we got married, not all directly related to marriage.

Lately I've been frustrated in the area of friends. I'm having to take the offensive and be the one to pursue my relationships outside my marriage (although that one also takes work, especially being only 4 months old). The thing is, I feel like I'm the only one making the effort to take the initiative. Whether it's my close friend that I don't see anymore unless we make specific plans, or the new friends I'm making through my knit group and other places. Honestly the lack of effort on my friends' sides at times makes me feel like I'm not important to them. And taking the initiative isn't always easy for me, which means that I end up not spending the time with my dear friends that I wish I did.

I could easily live "defensively" and end up a hermit, only spending time with my husband and probably driving him nutso. Perhaps if I waited long enough, someone would decide to actually call me up. It can also be tiring and discouraging, but in the end, when I'm connecting with that friend who's been with me through this and that, it's all worth it.

But I crave community and I crave the encouragement of others, especially other believers. It's the way God designed us. We are to sharpen iron on iron and that's what Church is about whether that's your normal church service, or two friends coming together in Christ to encourage, exhort and lift each other up.

On a spiritual level, the Bible is constantly using "offensive" terminology, and perhaps that's where the term "warfare" comes from, especially considering the continuous warring that went on in the Old Testament and throughout Israel's history. The wars and battles fought were both spiritual and literal. I think that we like to be able to label things, so we put the label of "warfare" on the spiritual battle that goes on in our lives. I know I feel a warring going on between my soul and my fleshly desires. And it's too easy to name off the demons "Greed, Lust, Self-righteousness, Pride, Anger". And it certainly feels like demonic oppression.
...and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. Matt 16:18
The gates don't move. The church does. WE are on the offensive and the "powers of Hell" (as another translation puts it), are on the defensive. But that doesn't mean that we are knocking down people along the way. We are to overcome evil with GOOD. The greatest of these is LOVE. I think that's where a lot of us get confused (particularly in Charismatic circles). We become so impassioned, that we forget that Jesus' focus was on healing, restoration, touching the untouchables, recognizing people's needs and meeting them where they are at. He didn't sit back and just let people travel to him from wherever they were (although that did happen as well), he traveled to the people...he went to their homes and ate with them, healed them, and restored them.

We aren't better than people who don't know Jesus like we do. We aren't above them, or in some Holy club, we are simply followers of a God who has touched us and we are called to share His touch with those around us. He's given us His spirit so that we have authority and power over evil, but he calls us to love our neighbors above all else.

  1. What do you struggle with when it comes to contemporary understandings of spiritual warfare?
  2. What should spiritual warfare look like in everyday life?
I struggle with recognizing that I am CALLED to be on the offensive, to be proactive, in how I live my life. To GO. I can't just float along on the barge to heaven. But I'm not called to be on a "battleship" either. Rather, I'd like to think of it more like a mercy ship. Wherever I am, I should be reflecting the love of Christ to those around me. I need to See the people around me as Jesus sees them. I need to Touch them as He would touch them. I need to Meet them where they are and give of what Jesus has given to me.....I need to LOVE them.

So in the day to day, I think the number one thing is to be connecting with God...to See Him, to Touch Him, and to let Him meet our needs, to fill us with Himself. Without His love and life in us, we can't do it. I know I can't. We need him to open our eyes, our ears and our hearts to what's going on in our lives and the lives of those around us.

I do think that there may be times (moments or even longer periods of time) when the spiritual is more present in my awareness and there is a strong sense of very real, very demonic activity, but in the day to day it's not that sensational.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marieke,

Thanks for sharing more on this topic--spiritual warfare or proactive living. You have some great thoughts.

I can relate to what you say about friends not taking the initiative as well. I have some friends that I've known for years that I might have lost contact with a long time ago if it wasn't for my efforts in keeping in touch. It's pretty hurtful. But close friendships are so important to me I tend to keep trying.

Pastor Phil said...

When change happens, so do the dynamics of the "warfare." Just keep living on the front line, and things will come together. Well that's my thought at least.

Anonymous said...

I think that spiritual warfare is an ever-present issue that we as Christians face moment to moment. I have a tendency as a life long Christian to put the demonic off onto the 'big' sins. But when I visit that ever present spiritual side of my life I realize it's there waiting constantly and interacting constantly. It can be a small a thing as tone of voice, laziness (that is a big one with me), passing on animosity to those I love, flashes of anger & frustration with the kids- more than is warranted. I can go on & on in my daily battles with Satan. What I hold fast & strong to is the reminder that I can visit with my Heavenly Father as often as I need. The Holy Spirit is an everlasting reminder (still small voice in my head as my parents say) that I am blessed with the grace that no other than our Savior could give. It lifts me up when I am overwhelmed with the guilt of what a mortal I am ;o)
As far as friends go, I have had to sever some friendships in the past that were so hurtful to my family I could not continue them any longer. George has been ill over the last few years and so our focus has defenitly turned inward, we used to have people over frequently for spiritual bantering. With his health issues we have stopped doing that but turned to the social side of our church more. Attending all the extra activities and functions we used to skip out on before.
I am so excited to have found you so recently. I do have the time & energy to let another person in, I wasn't sure that would happen. I do hope you can let me know if I let you down in some way when it comes to building our friendship. That is one area I am not pushy and with my family first I can't give my time freely but I can do it responsibly.
It will be fun to keep Raining Grace on bloglines & interact with you yet another way.

Marieke said...

Chauntel, Thanks for your post!

I am excited that our paths have crossed as well! Your friendship already means a lot to me and I hope my rambling thoughts didn't inadvertantly hurt your feelings or anything. New friendships always take more work and are a little sketchy as you feel things out, learn more about the person, and eventually start taking steps to develop a deeper relationship. It's just frustrating when you don't have a secure long-time friendship already, because you end up putting yourself out there a little more and it's sometimes a little scary!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hanging with you and Tracy on Sunday! It'll be nice to get to know you two a little more outside knit group :)

Tracy said...

I really like you, Marieke but I feel a bit gunshy when it comes to having new friends. I keep myself at a bit of a distance with you because, well, because I know that some of my efforts with friends have not panned out. Or they took so much out of me that I got lost. Anyway, that blogpost made me think about these things. It's really good to read words written by someone else that explains how you feel yourself. It's very hard to put yourself out there knowing there is a possibility you will get hurt.

I am very glad you came to Knitting. In just this short time, I already know you to be a very funny, very caring, compassionate person. :))

Marieke said...

I really like you too Tracy! Like I told Chauntel, I'm glad that we've crossed paths and I hope to get to know you more :)

I've definitely had those friendships that seem to take everything out of you and after spending time with a person, you feel completely drained. I've had a few of those, or been through phases in a friendship where that has happened. This is a little tangent, but the times I've stayed in relationships like that, I've sensed that there was a purpose to it and that God had me in that relationship specifically to give, even though it was hard and sometimes I didn't really want to keep putting forth the effort. Other times, I just let the relationship die because there's nothing good coming of it and you just have to release it.

Anyway, I hope that we can take the risk with each other. You are a great person and I'd love to get to know you more!